What liberty entails

The theme of this week’s reading emphasizes the rights of the people to liberty. Within this liberty includes the people’s freedom to choose one’s religion. It is written under the U.S. Constitution, Amendment I, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” This picture shows just two of the many religion that people in the U.S. are able to practice freely without worrying of consequences. In other parts of the world, in the past and even now, people still constantly struggle to express their religion due to fear of what might potentially happen to them. This right that is written in the Constitution allows us to openly speak and follow any religion that we please. We have come to the point that talking about religion even in classes is completely acceptable, I know that was not always the case in the past.

With this in mind, a question that I wonder about is, How much does this freedom affect the U.S. today and how different would it be if people are required to follow a religion enforced by the government?

One thought on “What liberty entails

1. Hi Vera!

I agree that the Constitution really protects the citizens with the right to freedom of religion and I think that is one of the unique aspects of the United States that distinguishes us from other countries. I think you made an interesting point about how religion may differ in the United States if its citizens were required to follow a specific religion, in which the country we know today would greatly differ. There are a lot of refugees who immigrate to the United States to seek freedom of religion because of this right.