Food for Thought

One of my favorite things to do is to explore San Diego in search of the perfect street tacos (especially since yesterday was Taco Tuesday). The most divey street taco stands, run by an old grandma in the back, are almost always the best-tasting tacos! The tacos pictured above were no exception! Incredibly flavorful and cheap 🙂 Unfortunately, many of these kinds of restaurants have been forced to shut down during ICE raids as some have workers who illegally immigrated to America. Sadly, this recently happened to a keystone bakery called Con Pane Rustic Breads and Cafe in Point Loma. (some more info linked below if you want to be sad)

Furthermore, for those who are unaware, street food vendors have recently (early 2019) been legalized in Los Angeles to protect immigrants by giving them the means to earn money. This is actually a hot topic as some may perceive this legislation as taking jobs away from “Americans” whereas others see it as empowering immigrants to pave their own way to a better life in America. Purely from a food perspective, I believe this was a positive move because it allows cuisine to expand to more cultures and taste new perspectives in life (both figuratively and literally). Call me an idealist, but I hope this law enables people to be more open-minded to accepting new cultures through food, especially during times when politics and racism are more polarized then ever. America is, after all, the melting pot – a melange of so many different cultures.

In Declarations of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, it states “law can only prohibit such actions as are hurtful to society. Nothing may be prevented which is not forbidden by law, and no one may be forced to do anything not provided for by law”. Preparing food with love and care is probably the least hurtful contribution to society that any person can make, so it seems to me legalizing street vendors is almost a given. Yet, other places still have many strides to make as racism and xenophobia continue to dominate.

What do you think about street vendors? Do you think legalization is good or bad? How should legislators handle the food industry? Do you think immigrants in the food service industry should be penalized for working?

Bonus question: Where can I get good tacos in San Diego?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-15/san-diego-bakery-ice-audit-con-pane

2 thoughts on “Food for Thought

1. Hi Thien – Tu,
    I also love tacos! I was not aware of the legalization of street food vendors in LA but it really made me think about how something like great street food is representative of something larger. Food is something that we can all unite behind despite cultural differences and I would also hope that we can work towards a more accepting and nondiscriminatory world.

2. Hi Thien Tu
    Your question really made me think about the legalization of street food which I was never aware of. I think a reason that street vendors are not legalized is because if they don’t register their restaurants or company, they don’t have to pay taxes to the government. And since they are not registered, they might be hiring illegal workers or involve in illegal activities. However, I think that majority of the street vendors are great and it should be legalized. They provide good food and prices, and I think they are a great representation of a country’s culture.