Whoa, Technology is Crazy

Whoa, Technology is Crazy

The Digital Humanities Manifesto reminded me a lot of the DIY manifestos that arose in feminist punk groups in the 90’s. Both are community-focused, transformative, creative and revolutionary. Although I don’t know a lot of the tech lingo, and I wouldn’t even know where to start with personally taking back the internet, I am all about taking power away from mass corporations and giving it back to normal people, especially children! I also found Chris Gilliard’s “Pedagogy and the Logic of Platforms” extremely interesting because I had no idea that red lining extended to media. I always knew there was disproportionate representation and technological literacy between different races and classes, but to find out that the actual content that pops up on people’s feed (which also stems from big brother tracking us) is associated with people’s economic status is really creepy and frustrating. These two articles were pretty inspiring to me, especially since I want to be a teacher, and they made me start thinking about how I can help students not only learn to navigate the web in an informed way, but to take the technology back and utilize it in a way that benefits them, not the corporations.

3 Comments

1. Reading your post was so inspiring and I wanted to shout, F-Yeah! To children and not to corporates, is the right attitude. This world is being taken over globally by corporations and it is sad. So being able to teach children about how to be informed about the internet is a good start to this issue.

2. To me, the internet has always been a free medium where information is vast, just go on youtube and you can learn introductory courses on piano, guitar, violin, but the ugly side of the internet is the data mining, the tracking, the algorithmic oppression and predatory practices that comes from this algorithms, and this needs to stop. The first step is always to be informed of the problem which I feel these two pieces did just that.

3. I blog often and I really thank you for your content. Your article has really peaked my interest.
    I will book mark your website and keep checking for new information about once a week.
    I subscribed to your Feed as well.