Transfer Student Spotlight: Leslie Zamora

Leslie Zamora, 2017 PATH Summer Academy Attendee

Name: Leslie Zamora

UC San Diego College: Warren

SDCCD College: City College

Major: Literatures in English

Minor: Education Studies

What was the hardest part of transferring?

Making sure I had all my math requirements for transferring with IGETC. When I went to City College I had not done very well on the math part of the placement test that they have. I had to take about four classes to have the transferable math requirement needed. Also, making sure I had the required English classes to transfer which I didn’t realize until I went to go see a counselor. I had to take about 4 classes in my major before transferring; it wasn’t bad, but I wish I had known sooner.

Why did you choose UC San Diego?

I wasn’t going to apply to UC San Diego, but a representative of the school came to my college and said that UC San Diego was looking for more literature majors. I thought I would give it a try, but even if I did get accepted I didn’t know if I would be able to go due to how much the tuition is per year. My parents still pushed and encouraged me to accept it because they knew that it was a good school. FAFSA really helps me out, but most of all my parents.

Why did you join PATH?

I found out about it from my English Literature Professor Kelly Mayhew, and she highly recommended I apply. I wanted to get a feel for the school before I actually started my first quarter. I said to myself that if I was accepted to UCSD I would apply for this program; it honestly seemed like a good opportunity. I ended up really enjoying it, and making connections with people who are now my friends. I’m a literature major, and I’ve seen many of the students from PATH in my classes so I don’t feel alone because I know them.

What was your favorite part of the PATH program?

Being able to stay on campus and having mentors. My mentor gave me a lot of direction and information about my major and that was the most helpful part of the program to me. Staying on campus was one of the best experiences I had when joining PATH. I cannot afford to live on campus, so I decided to choose the option of living on campus during the summer to get a sense of what it would have been like. I met people who I’m now very close with, and I made long-lasting friendships there.

What was the hardest part of the PATH program?

Getting acquainted with the quarter system coming from a semester college. While at my time at City I had the chance to take an 8 week class, but the rest of my classes were always 16 weeks. The change of pace and how quickly it goes by was new to me, but I like it better than 16 weeks. It may go quicker, but this way you get to take more classes and that’s always a good thing because there are so many interesting classes out there.

Carmen Sierra, Veronica Arredondo, and Leslie Zamora before seeing a play at the La Jolla Playhouse during one of PATH’s social events.

How has the PATH program helped you?

It has helped me navigate places I probably wouldn’t have really known about and made me more confident about locating things throughout campus. I can see that many of the first years have no clue about where things are, and I’m glad I was given that sort of support to make the campus feel smaller and less intimidating. Navigating the school is important to me because that’s how you find out where your counselor is and other services.

What resources on campus have you used the most?

The library (Geisel) resources are very useful, and there are a lot of computers for people who do not have access to a computer at home. I spend most of my time either in Geisel or around it; I am able to print there before class, or just get a coffee from Audrey’s Café within Geisel. I have been to Price Theater many times; they show movies that are free with student ID. I got to see Coco, Marshall, It, and many other cool movies. Also, even if you do not live on campus, SHS (Student Health Services) is there to help you in any way they can.

Spread the word. Share this post!

Leave A Reply

Skip to toolbar