Transfer Student Spotlight: Chelsea Coon

Chelsea Coon, 2017 PATH Summer Academy Attendee

Name: Chelsea Coon

UC San Diego College: Sixth

SDCCD College: City

Major: Literatures in English

What advice would you give to transfers who are currently at community college?

Work hard, but don’t be a know-it-all. You are there to learn and there are so many resources and avenues to help you reach your educational potential. Also if you don’t try then you’ll never know, so apply! I also believe in networking. School is a dry run for a job, so get close to your teachers. Make a good first impression and learn from your mistakes.

What was your biggest fear about transferring to UC San Diego?

I had to appeal my application, so I suffered from the “imposter syndrome.” Truthfully, I thought because I wasn’t initially accepted that I wasn’t a worthy Triton. But now that I’ve been here, and have the respect from my professors and peers at UC San Diego, I can’t believe I was ever worried.

What has been your experience as a transfer student at UC San Diego?

I’ve had wonderful experiences here at UC San Diego. I feel completely supported by the staff and my classmates. The professors are passionate and have fully engaged my interest in topics to research, and my education here is top notch where I fully comprehend my subjects down to the little nuances.

Why did you join PATH?

My professor at City College introduced me to the PATH Academy. My family always imprinted the idea that pursuing an English major was a pipe dream, but hearing about PATH and the programs they offered, like career advice and advancement, really motivated me to join.

How has the PATH program helped you?

I feel like I belong at UC San Diego. The program has not only introduced me to amazing teachers and resources, but I have made real friends from different majors.

What was your favorite part of the PATH program?

From top left (clockwise): Chelsea Coon, Gaby Miramontes, Leslie Zamora, and CJ Munoz at a Career Center workshop during the PATH program.

The friends I made and the support I had from our teachers. I loved the student to teacher ratio, and the workshops we were introduced to that would help us in our college career. It was a very intimate setting.

What was the hardest part of the PATH program?

The fast pace! The transition from a semester to a quarter system can be very daunting. Also, the demand of academic integrity and the pressure of writing concise papers was intimidating for me because I’m a perfectionist. When you’ve been habituated to a certain way of studying, it can feel like you’ll never keep up with the demands of UC San Diego’s work load, but there are many resources here to help.

What resource on campus have you used the most?

The Writing Hub at Geisel. The tutors there are so well equipped to help with writing from papers to resumes.

What tips would you tell future students about the UC San Diego campus?

Wear comfortable shoes, pack lunches because you can get seduced by the wonderful fast food restaurants here, and look up once in a while from your phone because it’s a beautiful campus. Geisel library might be your second home so pack headphones, hand sanitizer, and anything that makes you feel comfortable because we are all here to learn and no time to judge.

When you are not in the classroom, what are you usually doing?

I love reading, practicing yoga, and catching up on my homework.

Spread the word. Share this post!

Leave A Reply

Skip to toolbar