About Me

My name is Rukmini Ravi. I am a transfer student from Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I grew up in SoCal, in a college town called Claremont. I identify as a cisgender female. I additionally identify myself with an infinite amount of characteristics, but at my core, I always characterize myself as a work in progress. My origins are in a village called Vilupanur (which is in the southern part of India in a state called Tamil Nadu), and I have actually visited this village along with other rural and urban parts of Tamil Nadu. However, I have never been educated in any other country but the U.S., and I was born and raised in the U.S. While Tamil is my language through origin, I consider English to be my native language as well since it is the sole language that I have used to communicate with quite a few people I have known basically my entire life (so, it is the reason why I have another set of irreplaceable experiences, along with the special memories I make while speaking in Tamil with my entire family). In regard to not just linguistics, but self-discovery, and basically everything else, I’m a work in progress because I believe there is always something that can be improved, and that’s what makes life so drawn out sometimes but exciting during other times.

I’m from Sixth College and I’m going to be a senior next year! I’m a math major so I like making connections between math and other subjects like music and linguistics, and math has also helped solidify that core idea I have about myself, that I’m a work in progress, because there is always something to be discovered in math, and always room for error. I signed up for this course for the aforementioned reasons – I also saw the “data” and “coding” words on the flyer, and although I didn’t quite understand what the anthropology study was going to be about, it seems like a really interesting project after today’s class. In regard to the Pacific, I have traveled to Hawaii and New Zealand, but I honestly barely knew about Papua New Guinea – I didn’t even know where it was on the map (super geographically challenged person over here).

I hope to gain a better sense of what goes into data curation and data management, and place the skill sets from this into a global context. I think this course is great because it reinforces this idea of placing what you learn in college directly into some type of globally-oriented framework.

8 Comments

1. HEY! I know where Rancho is! I lived closed by. I kind of think we’re all a work in progress, haha.

Reply

1. Hi Vidal,

That’s so cool! I’m happy you know where the Inland Empire is because so many people don’t know. You’ll definitely have to tell me about what your experience was like living near Rancho πŸ™‚

Reply

2. Hello Rukmini, I can relate to many aspects of your bio, particularly the infinite amount of characteristics and defining yourself as a work in progress. There is so much going on in one particular day that sometimes I find it hard to define myself definitively. Especially as a college student when we are constantly taken out of our comfort zone, how are we to define ourselves as a college student when we constantly have to adapt to situations on a daily biases? (we become chameleons) This is a question that I always ask myself, but I guess this is similar to your comparison with math and identity, as their is always something to be discovered (life is fluid, ever changing), I like this outlook! I look forward to a successful summer one session, thanks for sharing.

Reply

1. Hi Vincent,

I completely agree with you that we become chameleons! We’re always learning something new so I guess it makes sense. Thank you for your comments!

Reply

3. Rukmini, you have such a refreshing outlook. I really think that more people could benefit from adopting your attitude toward linking math with other subjects. I believe that interdisciplinary studies like that are so important, not to mention super interesting! As a History major with a solid science background, I cannot help but notice the ways in which my knowledge in one field informs my understanding of the other. Is there any particular connection between math and music that you really love?

I also really liked what you said about having distinct memories based on the language used. I immediately thought that could be a really interesting phenomenon to explore in a place like Papua New Guinea because of how many languages are spoken there.

Looking forward to working with you in class!

Reply

1. Hi Lea,

Thank you so much for your comments! I definitely think there is a huge overarching connection between math and subjects like music and linguistics, with that overarching connection being the governance of these subjects by sets of rules and constructs. For example, in music there are rhythms, scales, and structured tonalities that govern pieces and works of art. In linguistics, grammatical and cultural structures impact the creation and development of a language. While many associate structure and logic with subjects like mathematics, every facet of our lives is affected and governed by structure and logic, and some kind of a base foundation concerning structure and logic.

Reply

4. Hi Rukmini, Thanks for sharing your experience! I like your perspective of being a work in progress; we all are. Thinking about life that way takes the pressure off of being perfect all the time and allows us to explore, enjoy the moment and find ways to grow and learn from it. I know this class isn’t much coding, but I would love to see you use your math skills somehow to make our data analysis stronger. So if you ever have any suggestions, please speak up! Best, Rachel

Reply

1. Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your comments! I’m glad this course is being offered – while trying to be a sponge in this course, I have definitely been trying to think of some applied methodologies for data analysis for the records that are in special collections already. This may be a project I want to pursue for the academic year πŸ™‚

Reply