All About Margo Tannewitz

I am Margo Tannewitz, an avid reader with a boundless desire for better understanding the world that I live in. I am an aspiring writer who deeply cherishes education, and wants more than anything to better the world through the literature I craft. A large sense of my identity comes from the literature (in all of its forms) that I have interacted with and been shaped by. The books I have read, lessons I have attended, music I have listened to, and those I continue to discover, have and will shape my perspective of my experience. Throughout my time at UCSD specifically, I have read primary and secondary sources from Europe, Colonial America, and Latin America from anywhere between the 1600’s and present day. In both researching context and analyzing the meanings of such texts from a variety of cultural, temporal, and geographical perspectives. I believe that by looking at the literature of and about a concept, region, or group of people is an intimate and insightful means of gathering both knowledge and understanding.

I identify with creativity and living intuitively, which is why I love the intuitive nature of writing and reading to express ideas and emotions. I strive to analyze and reimagine my experiences in life, and translate this practice of thought into other mediums like original music, poems, and stories. I believe I represent myself as an open-minded and adventurous spirit, and that my passion for the art and academic work I create is evident through my emotional connections to them. I believe that expression is an art and identity, therefore I try to express my thoughts, sentiments, and interests as much as possible through my creative work, my style of dress, and the conversations I facilitate with others.

I am from the suburban city of Santa Clarita, California; a bit North of Los Angeles. I had a calm childhood in which I made lasting friendships within my close-knit community. I enjoyed the security of living in a quiet and safe community, but also yearned to expand my views by moving away for college. Moving to San Diego was a decision I do not regret, for I have had the opportunity to form new bonds with others, and be exposed to a wider array of other cultures, histories, and environments.

I am a soon-to-be third year in Sixth college, and I plan to graduate next Spring. I am greatly enjoying pursuing a degree in Literature/ Writing here, and I have learned more about many subjects that I never expected I would. I am currently learning Spanish, and am approaching my goal of fluency. I am also reading and writing about different countries and cultural practices that I have not previously been exposed to in my studies of language and history in Latin America.

Another one of the classes that is expanding my perspective is this class, CAT 124. Aside from my life spent living near the Pacific Ocean, I do not have a considerable amount of knowledge of The Pacific, however, I have read numerous literary works from Japan in previous literature classes on Techno-Orientalism. It is this lack of knowledge that led me to take this course, for I feel it is valuable and interesting to learn the histories and practices of other cultures and regions. Such research and increased understanding can help one detect the causes and continuing traces of present societal issues. I also have recently been reading a lot on indigenous cultures in Latin America, and have seen throughout my studies of Latin American and other indigenous cultures, the common themes of capitalization, appropriation, and conflict that has been brought upon them. This class will give me an opportunity to hone in on a specific indigenous group and understand the mechanics of their history and present.

I hope to learn about the many cultures that intermingled within Papua New Guinea, and to understand how Australia interacted with the population to create infrastructure and organizations. I am extremely excited to look at documents and draw my own conclusions from the research I conduct!

5 Comments Add yours

1. SCOTT CURTIS says:

Hello Margo! I loved your post. I too am an avid reader with a deep interest in the world around us! Although I am not the most proficient writer, I do find great pleasure in it. It sounds like you have a very extensive background in studying cultures and peoples around the world, and in Latin America, which I hope I get the chance to learn more about from you during the course! Looking forward to the next couple quick weeks, one can only hope it doesn’t go by too quickly!

2. Hello, Margo. First of all, I deeply agree with you that books, music, and new discoveries affect your perspective of experiences. I want to know what kind of books and music do you read and listen to. Also, I really want to learn how you keep yourself adventurous. For me, I really like to travel places that I have never been to. Every year, I try to go to new places and last year I have been to Boracay island to meet new people and new environment. If you like to travel a lot, you can suggest where to go for this year to me. As you said, I think learning histories and cultures of other countries will help boost the understanding of current issues not only in the area but also in the place we live in.

3. Lea Kolesky says:

Margo, I think your literature background is going to lead to some really interesting analysis. I can’t wait to read your blogs! If and/or when you get a break from academics, what do you like to read for pleasure? As fas as personal writing, what is your favorite genre to express yourself? When I’m not battling writer’s block, I’m partial to poetry. Looking forward to learning with you!

4. VIDAL ESPINA says:

I too wanted to move away for college. I applied for NYU (but didn’t get in) and all the UC’s and CSU’s that were away from the LA area. lol. I was conflicted in choosing San Diego or Santa Cruz. I’m so happy to hear that it was a decision you don’t regret. Couldn’t say the same for me, the first two quarters I was here I thought I made one of the biggest mistakes in life. I’m still not 100% sold but I’m getting used to it.
    I love the correlation you made between art and identity. I believe it to be true.

5. Rachel Hicks says:

Hi Margo, I am really excited to see how your background in literature influences your analysis of these primary texts. I hope it expands your knowledge, understanding, and enjoyment of different forms of literature, writing, and research. Feel free in your next blog post to look into local PNG literature as part of the cultural context or bring it into discussions wherever is appropriate. Recently more and more indigenous scholars are beginning to publish their own accounts and writings. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts as we compare the works of anthropologists, patrol officers, and indigenous scholars. Best, Rachel