On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, HIUS 144 hosted their class at Chicano Park. This is a transformative and radical view of what education is and has been for people around the world. Our communities are rich and full of culture, knowledge and love.

While I was at Chicano park, I had the opportunity to witness young groups of people playing basketball and handball.  This brief moment reminded me of the activities I had done and continue to do back at home in Los Angeles. These two sports have a great significance for people growing up in under resourced communities. Chicano Park and my community are different, there are many similar environmental hazards that affect us both. Local community resources and spaces are an important part that shaped my life and other peoples. Personally, I have played basketball in these courts with a few of my friends. There was an urge for me to play handball, but I did not play.

I have visited Chicano Park a couple of times before, yet this visit was special because of the circumstances in which it was done and the changes that are going within it. This site visit was from a class at UCSD that is comprised of people (e.g. friends, students, faculty) that are deeply committed for communities beyond La Jolla. It is a great way to show how education is more than a class setting.