Adding your oral history sound file to the website

Hello all!

I’m excited to talk to you in class tomorrow about your ongoing projects! For your reference, here are some quick instructions on how to post oral history recording to the ROHP website. If you have any questions about any of the steps below, please feel free to ask me a question in the comments.

Adding audio to a post is as easy as adding images. You simply click the same button “add media” above the text editor to upload your audio file. After selecting the newly uploaded file, click “insert into post.”

Please note that there is a 300MB file size limit. If your file is larger than 300MB, try shrinking the file using through the free online service MP3 Smaller: http://www.mp3smaller.com/.  Selecting “Medium File Size” should do the trick, but make sure to listen to a small portion of the interview before posting to make sure the sound quality is preserved.

Write a summary about the nature of the interview. Who is the subject of the interview? Where did it take place? What was discussed? What parts of the interview did you find particularly interesting? If the professor has made a specific assignment for this post, please defer to their instructions instead. 

Before publishing, click the category “oral history” (to the right of text editor). Selecting this category will allow us to organize the oral history posts in their own section on the website.

Once you publish the post, you will see a media player like the sample media player included here at the top of the post. (Please disregard the contents of this particular audio recording, it is only to show you what the player should look like.)

Tip: Don’t forget to add a featured image to your post. You may also want to scatter other images throughout your post. Try playing with the image alignment, placement, and size of the image to improve the joint presentation of image and text.

Have suggestions about how to improve the look and feel of any aspect of this site? Please let me know in the comments!

10 Comments

1. Hi Erin,

I am not sure where the text editor is located to post this, nor do I see an option to click “Oral Histories”?

Where would I go to start posting this?

Thanks!

1. Author

Glad you figured it out! I’ll stay tuned for any further questions. Cheers!

1. Hi Erin,
        I am unable to convert my audio to MP3. I tried using the website recommend and other websites but I am still unable to. Can you help me?

2. Hi Erin, I couldn’t reduce the size of my audio file because it is in wav form, not mp3. I can’t find a way to convert or compress the file.

3. Hi, my WAV file is over 400MB. I’m not sure how to go about converting and compressing it. I’ve downloaded and tried a ton of programs, but I’m still confused. Can you help me out?

1. Author

Hi Krystle — sorry for the trouble! I’ll write you via email in just a moment.

4. Author

Hi all — sorry for the trouble! I’ll write you on email about resolving the issue!