Week 8 Music Journal

Reply to this post as a part of your Week 8 Music Journal Entry. Be sure to read the instructions to complete with proper directions.

One Reply to “Week 8 Music Journal”

1. I found one thing interesting in this week’s discussion, but not with what is being presented. One piece of content I found what interesting was the 2016 Grammy performance by Kendrick Lamar, which is taken down from Youtube for “copyright claim.” I saw the Grammy performance on TV and the important thing to grab on the performance and how it has been taken down is that like last week’s post, there are messages within these songs and this performance captured the true essence of sending a message. If you start your performance as a shackled, black man with a bunch of similar men, you can grasp the message he’s sending in one picture: black men in jail = the implication of the prison industrial complex.

Now, the idea that it has been taken down from Youtube for “copyright reasons”, yet there are other performances of that same Grammys that are up and public, shows the performance as a message to the world and to corporate fucking America. This, “I’m scared that he’ll expose the truth, so I have to use a legal tool to save us from the harshness that he’s sending and make it look like he’s crazy.”, bullshit is what the people deserve; to express the truth is such a talent and gift to people who know how to fight for what’s right. The way Kendrick Lamar expressed it in his performance did the job in bringing awareness to the reality of society and in doing so, instilled fear in the eyes of those trying to hide it.