Letter to the Reader #4: College Perspective

My job isn’t deep homie. As a music analyst, my job is to analyze various ongoing trends in music and share listening recommendations with the audience. In our society everyone is supportive of each other, so all of the neighbors are friendly and respectful. Everyone is like a family and looks out for one another. 

I’m in college right now, and as a student, we listen to music as a background while studying. I have a few study songs that help me focus on either studying or doing homework. Our topics are super difficult, especially in my physics class, where we’re learning about modern physics, and understanding it has become very difficult for me. One thing that helps me understand sophisticated materials is music. The calm music that I listen to helps me focus on the subject details, and by doing so I am able to digest the information better.

I heard that in the past, even though the music industry was so different, students like me still enjoyed music all the same. They’d listen to relaxing tunes to help them focus on their studies or high-energy bangers for some last-minute cramming. I guess at the end of the day, music has always been music, and the listener has the final say with what’s done with it. While the capitalist system of 2022 was so different from our modern-day socialist system, it seems as if music has stood the test of time, serving similar functions for centuries now.