Overpowering Taxes

A major reason that the colonies fought for independence was for being treated unfairly financially. Britain charged various taxes on the colonies to pay for wars, despite no say from tho colonists themselves. High taxes caused much retaliation from the colonists, including the Boston Tea Party. In the constitution, we see the desire for protection of property. Amendment 5 protects private property, while Amendment 8 prevents excessive fines. Along with this, by declaring there independence from Britain, Americans were freed from paying taxes to the king.

2 thoughts on “Overpowering Taxes

1. I agree that unfair taxation was a major factor in the US breaking off from the empire. Furthermore, I agree that the 5th and 8th Amendments protect property. My question is are taxes paid to a government the same as taxes paid to a king?

2. The heavy taxes that were imposed by the British on the US was one of the reasons that this nation was born. However, while I agree with you that paying an unreasonable sum to the king is an unfair policy, the same dilemma can be found in today’s society as well. Proportionally, the riches pay few taxes, while the commoners pay much more. How can we resolve this issue?