As a history major, I’ve taken my fair share of history classes. Upon enrolling in HIUS 120D, I fully expected the course to be like every other history class. But instead, I was met with a unique and innovative experience that has been unlike any other during my time here at UCSD as it has allowed me to explore different forms of history, specifically oral histories. I never thought that I would be interviewing my dad as part of a larger project like the ROHP. But I’m eternally grateful for being given the opportunity and the avenue to do so as I have always admired my dad’s past and the way that he has persevered through the obstacles thrown at him. 

After conducting my interview, it became evident that there were various situations that I had previously been unaware of, regardless of our close relationship as father and daughter. Growing up, I always viewed my dad as the strongest man on earth. I knew of his struggles, but I never made the connection of how young he really was when he came to the US, and how traumatizing that must have been for a seventeen year old. After conducting my interview, it became clear that he never really had a real childhood. He was instead burdened with the pressure to work in order to provide, and would eventually have to leave his family in search for a better life. He has given me everything, so it’s disheartening to hear how little he was given. 

The interview also made me realize that my dad, like many others, has been a victim of racial discrimination and prejudice. It was an unfortunate part of his journey, and one that has left a mark. But, it’s nice to see that these experiences have shaped him into the kind and accepting man that he is today.