Reflecting on the interview process I remember feeling very nervous. Capturing someone’s story in this way felt like a very big responsibility for me and I wanted to get it right. During the actual interview it was a process of gauging where the conversation was going and how to transition between questions. It was also helpful that it wasn’t the first time talking to the narrator in this type of setting resulting in a more comfortable flow of conversation. 

A challenge that I did encounter was not knowing if my follow up to their response was taking up too much space. I didn’t want to divert the conversation away from her story but I also wanted to acknowledge the similarities we share. Ultimately, I think this added depth to the conversation as a whole because though we lived two different eras of student activism and advocacy there are still many similarities. Even down to certain events that happened on campus years ago are almost identical to what is happening now. The guidance and advice are still applicable to avoid burnout or possibly causing harm in community spaces. 

Because we have very similar identities, backgrounds, and experiences I was able to gain a lot from this conversation. I intend to keep in contact with Veronica as she will be a good mentor as I continue to be involved with MEChA’s Mesa Directiva and other spaces of coalition building. Mentorship and intergenerational learning is something that I hold near and dear as there is always so much to learn from others. Oral history and storytelling are also very important in my culture and family. If it weren’t for this I wouldn’t know about certain traditions, ways of thinking, family customs, and so much more. This is how we learn!