Reflecting on my oral history process, I would definitely say this has been a transformative experience for me. Listening to stories and experiences from the perspective of a first-generation Mexicana has provided profound insights into resilience and the power of community.

One aspect that particularly inspired me was how my narrator, navigated the challenges of her dual identity as a former student activist and current school staff member. Despite the restrictions of her professional role to do something in recent days, she has found ways to act meaningfully in accordance with her conscience in the range of her ability and position. Her story underscored the importance of being proactive and resourceful, even when circumstances are limiting and oppressive. This idea inspired me to focus on what can be done and act accordingly rather than worrying about the constraints and do nothing. It is more important and meaningful to be a doer.

Initially, I had preconceptions that the interview would be more beneficial for me as the interviewer, and I was mindful of not being extractive. To foster a genuine connection, I scheduled a preliminary call a week before the interview to get to know my interviewee better. This approach transformed our interview into a conversation rather than a simple Q&A session. But interestingly, interviewee (the narrator) expressed gratitude for the opportunity to reflect on her journey and think about the path she has taken to reach this point today. Her words make me believe that the oral history process is mutually beneficial, it is reciprocal. And I am glad about that.

This process illuminated a larger lesson about the significance of oral histories: they are not merely records of past events but living testimonies that shape our understanding of identity, resilience, and community. My narrator’s story, rich with themes of activism, education, and reciprocal support, reminded me that oral histories have the power to connect us to the ongoing struggles and triumphs of individuals, fostering a deeper appreciation for the diverse experiences that constitute our collective history.