Welcome to KNIT, a digital commons for the UC San Diego campus community, piloted in collaboration between the Library and the Center for the Humanities.
Any campus member of UC San Diego can use KNIT to network with campus community, build websites, create groups, and more! To log on, please use your Active Directory credentials.
Network with campus community:
Use KNIT to explore and connect with the UC San Diego campus community. KNIT members can:
- Create a KNIT profile and showcase your research and/or professional interests and activities
- Browse campus profiles and message, mention, and “friend” other users
- Browse KNIT websites
- Browse and join KNIT groups
KNIT allows any campus member to create an indefinite amount of customizable WordPress websites. For example, you might build a website to:
- Develop your professional or academic online presence
- Create online resources for the public or for student, research, or other communities
- Showcase research and activities of a campus group or lab
- Facilitate collaborative, digital, and/or public-facing research or pedagogy
- Host classroom discussion in a customizable, networked, media-rich environment
- Experiment with digital publishing tools
- Publish academic or student journals
For more information on building a website, please visit the page Creating a KNIT website.
Host a group:
Creating a group on KNIT is a great way to facilitate communication for distributed, campus-based groups such as research groups, courses, committees, or special interest groups. KNIT groups have the following features:
- Online group forum where members can post and reply to topics
- Email notifications of group activity; user can choose how often to receive notifications
- “Reply By Email” functionality for easy communication with the group
- Groups can be public, private, or hidden
- Groups can be associated with a KNIT website (so as to notify group members of new website content or to allow group members to post to the website)
For more information on creating a KNIT group, please visit the page Creating a KNIT group.
For more information about how you might use KNIT for your research, pedagogy, or campus activities, please email KNIT Support at firstname.lastname@example.org