On Wednesday, May 6th, 2020, I had the great privilege of interviewing Faiza Warsame, the program coordinator of UWEAST (United Women of East Africa). Faiza is currently 23 years old and resides in San Diego, California. She is extremely passionate about working with and alongside her community- especially with the youth. Born in Somalia and raised by a single, strong mother, her, her mother, and her siblings all moved to Egypt when Faiza was ten years old. After living in Egypt for a couple of years, Faiza and her family immigrated to America for a fresh start, as well as for more opportunities.

This interview covers topics such as: Immigration, Refugee, Inequality, Community, Community work, Organizing/ Organization, Ramadan, and Covid-19. More specifically, this interview will highlight Faiza’s immigration experience, the struggles and hardship she has faced throughout her journey, details about her community, inequalities her community face, her involvement with UWEAST, as well as sharing what life (including Ramadan) is like for her and her organization now, amidst the Covid- 19 pandemic. I became acquainted with Faiza through my Ethnic Studies 120D course. My group and I were assigned to get to work with her and UWEAST, specifically with the kids; we would meet with Faiza and the students every Monday and Wednesday and hold Zoom calls with the students to do fun, interactive learning activities together. In short, it is through this wonderful opportunity that connected me to Faiza.

The interview was conducted via Zoom in order to remain safe and practice social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic. The interview was conducted by myself, LeAnn Le, a second year Sociology major and Ethnic Studies minor at UCSD. I always look forward to and appreciate any opportunities I get involving meeting, learning about, and getting to work with communities and community organizers hands on; this is something I value tremendously and plan on pursing throughout my lifetime.