After you transcribe the interview and within a week or two after your interview, it is important to send a thank you letter to your interviewee.

• Thank them specifically for their time, for sharing their story, and for participating in the Race and Oral History Project. 
  • Use an example of something that was learned from their oral history interview and why you appreciate them sharing their story and perspective
  • Ask them to review the transcript to provide any feedback on words that were unclear, spellings or specifics on names, dates, places, and whether there is anything that should be removed.

Examples: 

(1) I especially enjoyed your stories about the friendships that you made as a child at school. (2) I thought your memories of your grandmother helping others were so interesting and inspiring. (3) I appreciate you sharing your perspective and narrative with me and with the Race and Oral History Project.

Dear ______,

Thank you so much for participating in the Race & Oral History Project. I appreciate you taking time to meet with me. It was a getting to know you, and I am grateful that I have the opportunity to share your story. I thought your memories of your grandmother helping others were so interesting and inspiring.
I have transcribed the interview and would like to get your approval before submitting it. Please review the interview recording and transcript at your earliest convenience. Please check for the spelling of names, or for any other content that you would prefer to have removed. I will need to submit the interview by May 27th and it will be posted to the Race and Oral History Project website at https://knit.ucsd.edu/rohp in the near future. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. 

Sincerely,
________