Due to health restrictions related to COVID-19, the 2021 PATH Summer Academy will be held virtually, making use of Zoom and other technology to facilitate the program components. We are embracing the opportunity to think creatively and outside-the-box to bring this important experience to our UC San Diego transfer students!
2021 will be our second virtual Summer Academy. 2020 was our first and it was a success! View the video recap here.
- The 2021 PATH Summer Academy application is now live – Click Here to Apply.
- Extended Application Deadline: June 22, 2021
- Students will be notified of acceptance into the program via email. Acceptance notices will be sent by the third week in June. Students will need to complete a variety of documents after being accepted into the program, to meet internal deadlines.
PROGRAM DATES & SCHEDULE
- Orientation: Sunday, August 1, 2021 – late afternoon/early evening (specific time TBD)
- Attendance is required. The orientation will feature guest speakers and will review the program components, scheduling and logistics. Peer mentors will be introduced.
- Academy: Monday, August 2 – Saturday, September 4, 2021
- The 2021 Summer Academy takes place during Summer Session 2.
- Students are free and encouraged to take courses on their own during Summer Session 1 (June 28-July 31), however, participants in the PATH Summer Academy should not plan to participate in outside summer classes during Summer Session 2.
- Schedule: Courses will be held Monday-Thursday, with classes running from 8:00-10:50am on some days and from 11:00am-1:50pm on other days (see section below). Workshops will be held immediately before or after class time on most days each week. Students are required to meet with their assigned peer mentor for an hour each week and will have the opportunity to participate in other optional social activities as well. Students should expect to commit 5+ hours each day (Monday-Thursday) during the program for time spent in classes, at workshops, participating in activities and completing homework. A schedule of classes, required workshops and activities will be available to view in late June/early July 2021, and full information on the final program schedule will be provided during the orientation.
All students enrolled in the 2021 PATH Summer Academy will take the following classes, regardless of their individual major:
- AWP 102—Writing for Professional Success
- MUS 150—Jazz and the Music of the African Diaspora
- Taught by Professor David Borgo
- Tuesday/Thursday 8:00am – 10:50am
- These courses will be held online and facilitated through Zoom and other digital platforms. Syllabi for the classes and other details will be provided during the orientation. Class times may adjust slightly at the professors discretion to better accommodate the coursework and digital format.
- Summer tuition, textbooks and course materials for these classes are covered by the program.
Students are required to attend weekly workshops highlighting campus resources, covering components like: Using Geisel Library for academic research, Career Center Services, CAPS- Counseling and Psychological Services, the Academic Internship Program, Study Abroad, Financial aid and more!
Peer mentors play a significant part in the PATH Summer Academy program. Each student is assigned a peer mentor (a previous PATH transfer student) who they will meet with weekly during the program to gain new information about campus, ask questions and check-in.
The 2021 program includes peer mentors that represent different arts & humanities majors, ethnicity, backgrounds and ages. We are are excited to have such a diverse and passionate group of peer mentors to lead our students for the 2021 Summer Academy!
Students accepted into the program are expected to make needed accommodations with work or other responsibilities to be able to participate fully in the program, attending classes and workshops, in addition to meeting weekly with their peer mentor, and completing other required tasks as assigned. Absences must be communicated in advance with professors and program management.
Students that complete the PATH Summer Program in it’s entirety will be given a check for a $1500 stipend on the last day of class, to be used at their discretion.
HOUSING, DINING, PARKING
Due to COVID-19 and the remote status of the 2021 PATH Summer Academy, on-campus dorm housing, campus dining dollars and campus parking will not be provided, as all program activities will be held off-campus, at participants individual homes.