ALL ABOUT THE PROGRAM
WHAT IS IT?
- The PATH Summer Academy is 5-week summer program at UC San Diego, that held it’s first summer session in July 2017. It is designed to support transfer students during the transition from community college to life at UC San Diego.
- The program works to introduce academic expectations and the pace of the quarter system, share campus resources and explain how and where to access them, provide individualized mentoring, and create a community that can provide support while at UC San Diego.
- The program now runs during Summer Session 2, (typically the month of August) prior to a students first fall quarter.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- The program is specifically for transfer students,
- Who attended City, Mesa or Miramar College,
- Who have been accepted into UC San Diego, and
- Who have a major in the Arts & Humanities division.
- The program is limited to these 3 colleges, because they are part of the San Diego Community College District which is a partner in the grant that funds this program.
- The program typically accepts up to 30 students.
WHAT DOES IT ENTAIL?
- 2 ACADEMIC COURSES
- All students in the program take the same 2 courses, regardless of their individual major, earning 8 credits towards their degree. The classes are typically held Monday-Thursday, and often involve field trips, scheduled during class times.
- WEEKLY WORKSHOPS
- Students attend workshops that highlight campus resources and professional development opportunities. The workshops are typically held immediately before or after class.
- WEEKLY PEER MENTOR MEETINGS
- Students are assigned a peer mentor (a current UC San Diego student formerly in the program) and are required to meet individually with their mentor each week to ask questions, take tours and get further information and support.
- OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES
- The peer mentors host a variety of optional activities, like study sessions, game nights, outings and more. These activities help the cohort get to know each other in a more relaxed setting.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
- THE PROGRAM IS COMPLETELY FREE thanks to a generous grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Participants that complete the program also receive a stipend check for $1,500 on the last day of class!
- Admission to the program includes:
- Tuition for the 2 summer courses
- Course textbooks
- In Summer 2022, the academy will be held hybrid.
- When in-person programs return the following will also be an option:
- Dorm housing on campus during the program (optional)
- Dining dollars to spend on campus to purchase meals during the duration of the program
- Parking permit to park for free on campus during the program
HERE ARE 10 REASONS!
- EARN 8 CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR DEGREE
- ACCLIMATE TO THE QUARTER SYSTEM
- LEARN ABOUT CAMPUS RESOURCES
- MEET FRIENDS & FUTURE CLASSMATES
- EARN A STIPEND! $$$ (SDCCD only)
- RECEIVE PERSONALIZED PEER MENTOR SUPPORT
- NETWORK WITH FACULTY & STAFF
- DISCOVER THE CAMPUS BEFORE FALL QUARTER
- MEET YOUR ADVISER & CREATE A PLAN
- RECEIVE PERKS AFTER COMPLETING THE PROGRAM (Special Internships, workshops, events, etc.)!!