The program invites students from the San Diego Community College District who are transferring to UC San Diego with a major in Arts and Humanities, to apply for the program.
NOTE: You need to have been accepted to UC San Diego in order to apply to the PATH Academy
How to apply:
The online application for 2018 will go live on March 20, 2018. Students are encouraged to apply as soon as they decide to accept their offer from UC San Diego (SIR) as this is required to apply to the Academy. Until the application is live, here is preview of the short answer questions included:
- Which SDCCD college would you consider your home campus? At which SDCCD college have you taken the most units at? Have you taken honors classes at SDCCD, if yes, what classes? (200 words or less)
- Tell us your story (300 words or less)
- What factors contributed to your decision to choose UC San Diego over another institution? (200 words or less)
- Letter of recommendation from SDCCD faculty member (300 words or less)
- Go to http://summersuccessprograms.ucsd.edu
- Sign on as a Student SSO using your Single Sign-On User ID/PID and password
- NOTE: you should have received this upon applying to UC San Diego
- Select Summer Transfer in Arts and Humanities
- Complete the application
Students will be notified of acceptance starting June 1, 2018.
We highly encourage students to live on campus. We recommend that Academy students, including those who will be commuters in the fall, live together in the residence hall all 5 weeks of the program. This provides more opportunity to make new friends and study effectively. Students will live in apartments with 4-5 others. Everyone will have their own room in the apartment.
The following are the two classes everyone enrolled to the 2018 PATH Academy will take:
- MUS 150—Jazz and the Music of the African Diaspora with Professor Natalia Molina
- HIUS 126—The History of Race in the United States with Professor David Borgo
There is no monetary cost to you for your housing, fees, parking, or meals. In addition, you will receive a $3,000 stipend for attending. However, we do expect your full participation in all aspects of the Summer Academy. You will need to sign a contract before being accepted into the program.
You will be given a set amount of Dining Dollars during the program that can be used at several markets and dining halls on campus. You will need to budget your funds appropriately during the academy. Food will also be provided during certain events in the Academy.
The Summer Academy will run during Summer Session I in 2018.
July 2nd – August 3rd
Students accepted into the Summer Academy will be required to sign a contract. You can view the draft of the contract here: 2018 PATH Program Summer Academy Contract DRAFT 12.8.17
There are some mandatory events and dates that will be scheduled, as indicated by the red text, but these will all be scheduled by the time PATH Summer Academy acceptances are sent out (June 2018).
Students with Disabilities:
If you are a student with a disability who may need accommodations to participate in our programs, you are encouraged to contact the Office for Students with Disabilities directly at (858) 534-4382. Additional information may be found at http://disabilities.ucsd.edu/about/index.html.
Important contacts for new students:
· Admissions: (858) 534-4831
· Financial Aid & Scholarship Office: (858) 534-4480
· Housing: (858) 534-4010