A student-centered collaborative initiative at UC San Diego

College Platicas(talks) with Casa Youth

On Friday May 18,2018 with the help of another classmate, I facilitated a college talk with the youth at Casa Familiar’s youth. This was not only one of the first talks that the youth center has done but also my first time facilitating a talk. I did a lot of research and reached out to past advisors of mine so that I could give the youth enough information to be able to feel confident in their journey to college. When talking with Mirna she said that there might not have been a lot of students showing up because they’ve never had anything like this before.

We wanted to make this platica engaging for the students, so I created a little bingo game for them and we also provided donuts and goodie bags to the students filled with information for them. When it came time for the platica we had 12 students attend and all the students were very engaged and asked a lot of questions which was very heartwarming to see. We had students from all grades attend. We even had a fourth grader attending which was nice. Being apart if this platica and being able to provide the youth with different resources for me was heartwarming and I felt very appreciative and lucky to have had that opportunity. We are already planning our next youth platica.

« »