Transfer Student Spotlight: Rebecca Chhay

Rebecca Chhay, 2017 PATH Summer Academy Mentor

Name: Rebecca Chhay

Community College: Miramar College

UC San Diego College: Muir

Major: Literatures in English

Minor: Ethnic Studies

What advice would you give to transfers who are currently at community college?

I would definitely recommend completing IGETC, using assist.org, and researching multiple schools. I didn’t initially apply to UC San Diego because of its reputation as a STEM school, but during my application cycle they extended the transfer application deadline. My parents and some of my friends encouraged me to apply, so I took a look at UC San Diego’s literature courses and decided to apply. I’m really glad I applied after all because I can’t imagine myself anywhere else now.

What was the hardest part of transferring?

I think the hardest part about transferring was that I wasn’t used to the idea of spending a lot of time on campus. During my first quarter, I only had M/W/F classes, so I only came to campus three days per week. I worked an off-campus job on my two days off, so I wasn’t spending time going to events or exploring UC San Diego resources. I felt like I was missing out on a lot. The next quarter, I had classes from Monday to Friday, and I was able to settle in more.

What tips would you tell future students about the UC San Diego campus?

There are always tons of events and opportunities, but it’s up to you to pay attention. Read your email, look at the posters and flyers around campus, and check out the calendar of events online to find something you’re interested in. I’ve gone to so many interesting (and free) events just because I opened my email—everything from seeing a Native American hip hop artist perform to attending a conference where I heard from the founder of the cell phone. Additionally, be sure to use reusable water bottles on campus! If you don’t already have one, you’ll get one at orientation! There are refill stations everywhere and it’s more convenient.

How are you involved with PATH? 

I had the privilege of being one of the peer mentors for the PATH Summer Academy in its inaugural year. In addition to individually meeting with eight incoming transfer students majoring in Literatures in English or Literature/Writing, I also did behind the scenes work such as developing the mentor curriculum and organizing social events. I’m currently working to train 2017 PATH Summer Academy attendees to be peer mentors for this next upcoming class.

Rebecca at the Arts & Humanities table during the UC San Diego Celebrate the Arts event.

Outside of PATH, how have you been involved at UC San Diego?

During my first quarter, I started volunteering which helped me learn a lot of skills that I used in later positions. For English-in-Action, I met weekly with an international student to help her practice her conversational English for about a year. With my experience, I got a job as a conversation leader working with international students completing study abroad programs at UC San Diego Extension. At the Women’s Center, I assisted with event set-up and clean-up, outreach, and miscellaneous office tasks. I do similar work at my current position as an intern with the Division of Arts & Humanities. Last summer, in addition to being a peer mentor for the PATH Summer Academy, I was also a transfer orientation leader for Muir College.

When you are not in the classroom, what are you usually doing?

Outside of school, I enjoy playing with my beloved Daisy pup, playing board games, and watching movies.

Spread the word. Share this post!

Leave A Reply

Skip to toolbar